I arrive at the hospital about 7:30 p.m. It is my
first night back after a week of being home with a cold. I’m happy to see my
boy. Derek is getting a different look now – a transplant look. His eyebrows
and eyelashes are
gone completely, and puffiness replaces where his eyebrows used to be. He is also puffy around his eyes. His skin is dark. The effect makes his eyes look small and a little squinted. He is lying on the couch with his three favorite stuffed animals around him. At least he is out of bed. The transplant team has told me before that by day 10 transplant patients typically feel so awful that they don’t want to get out of bed. He seems to have a bit of energy.
gone completely, and puffiness replaces where his eyebrows used to be. He is also puffy around his eyes. His skin is dark. The effect makes his eyes look small and a little squinted. He is lying on the couch with his three favorite stuffed animals around him. At least he is out of bed. The transplant team has told me before that by day 10 transplant patients typically feel so awful that they don’t want to get out of bed. He seems to have a bit of energy.
Kristen is with me. She has brought her camera on which she
recorded our cat doing some funny tricks. Derek giggles as he watches the three
video clips. Then they watch a video about earthquakes and volcanoes. Kristen leaves at 8:30.
I settle in for a typical night at the hospital. I begin the nightly routine of putting two different creams
on Derek’s body from head to foot. One cream is for the bendable parts and
crevices. The other is for the rest of him. He has been itching so badly that
they have prescribed a new cream for the crevices. I start with the new one. I
get interrupted when he needs to go to the bathroom. Then interrupted again
when the nurse comes in with his nightly medications: three syringes, one pill,
a mouth rinse of salt and soda which he dislikes, and a large chalky tablet he
has to let dissolve in his mouth. He doesn’t like this one either. He also
gets Benadryl and Tylenol; premeds for platelets which are coming in a little
while. Maybe the Benadryl will help with the itching. He has a bronchoscopy in
the morning, so they have to make sure his platelets are above 70. This morning
his platelets were only 13. He got one bag early this morning Then back to creams and scratching. His
shoulder blades itch the most, and they are getting raw from all the scratching.
He has very dark patches of skin around his waistband, on his back, and groin.
It is much darker than a week ago. His ears are pealing, and he has very rough
skin on his upper neck around to his cheeks. It is probably the combination
result of radiation and graft versus host disease (GVHD).
By 9:45 the creams
and meds are finished. The Benadryl hasn’t stopped the itching, but it has made
him sleepy. He falls into a restless
sleep. I make my bed on the couch and sit and watch him flinch in his sleep at
the itching. At 10:30 the platelets are hung and Derek awakens when the
nurse has to take vitals as she starts the platelet transfusion. The blood
pressure cuff is on his lower leg because he just got his PICC line out of one
arm this afternoon and has a replacement peripheral IV in the other. He
scratches and grunts. Isn’t there anything he can take for his itching? No,
says the nurse. Not until 1:30
because it has to be four hours after the Benadryl. How will he make it that
long? He is miserable! We try ice packs on his back. It doesn’t help much but he
gets back to a restless sleep. I lie down and try to sleep. It is 11:30. At 11:45,
the monitor starts dinging. It shows that Derek’s oxygen saturation has fallen
below 91%. At least that means he is now sleeping soundly. But 91% isn’t high
enough. I turn on the oxygen blow-by and put the cup near his face. His level rises
and the monitor stops dinging, for now. The nurse is on break and the
replacement nurse takes his vitals which awakens him again. It is midnight, and I give him some water. He won’t be
able to eat or drink after this until his bronchoscopy around 11 a.m.
At 12:15, the
pump begins to beep. The platelet transfusion is finished and needs to be
flushed. I get up, silence the beep, and call the nurse who has just returned
from her break. She starts the flush which will take about 10 minutes. When the
flush is finished, the pump beeps again. I call the nurse again. The nurse stops
the pump, puts on another medication, and takes his vitals again, which wakes
him up again. He starts itching and scratching. Poor thing! I wish I could take
it away! The nurse comes in to change the medication in the pump. She says she
will call the resident on call to see if she can give the Atarax early. At 12:45 she comes in with the Atarax. He takes
it orally. Within 20 minutes, the scratching subsides and he falls asleep. So
do I, sort of. The next three hours are a jumble of monitors dinging because he
has desaturated, vitals being taken, and Derek’s need to urinate a couple of
times. His platelets are only 58 so he needs a second transfusion in one night.
That means waking him up to give him Tylenol again. Another hour and a half
transfusion. I’m too tired and groggy to look at the clock.
At 4:45, Derek
starts wiggling again. It looks like the Atarax is wearing off and he is
starting to itch. At least it has been four hours, so he can get it again. I
tell the nurse, and she gets the medication ready while I step out to the
restroom. When I return, Derek is awake
and says he needs to sit on the toilet. I unhook him from the monitor and
unplug his pump and help him to the bathroom.
He has a very watery stool and it takes a while for him to complete his “chores.”
I stand beside him so he has something to lean on. He’s tired. It is after 5:00 when he feels he is finished, and I help
him back to bed. The Atarax hasn’t kicked in yet, and he is wide awake and
itching. Even after the itching subsides, he can’t go back to sleep. He begins
playing with his blow-by oxygen cup. By pinching the two tubes delivering
oxygen to the cup, he can create a rhythm with the sound of the oxygen flow. The
nurse asks him if he is playing a song. He giggles and continues. A few minutes
later he asks me what song he just played. I have no idea. I was trying to
sleep. It’s “Moonlight Sonata” he says and giggles. Fitting. It is still dark
outside. I wonder if the moon is up. He wants the keyboard from the playroom. I
tell him he needs to sleep. The playroom doesn’t open until 9:00 a.m. and that is three and a half hours from now. I
sing to him and rub his back as though it is just now bedtime, hoping to relax
him. It’s 5:35. At least he isn’t
itching now. We both try to sleep. He succeeds. I don’t.
It is 6:50 and light outside. The pump beeps because another medication is finished. The
monitor dings because Derek just desaturated again. It is cloudy this morning,
so it is darker than usual at this time. Derek is sleeping. I am writing this
blog post because I can’t. I hear the nurses coming in for shift change. It’s
been a typical night of interrupted or non-existent sleep but an atypical one because
Derek has never had two bags of platelets in one night, and I’ve never heard
“Moonlight Sonata” played on an oxygen cup. I hope the phone doesn’t ring at 7:30. I hope we can each get a nap today.
8 comments:
scenario just seems so familiar...yet different... thoughts and prayers for you my friend. God Will Take care of You...travel this dark tunnel all the Way With Jesus.
My heart aches with the wish I could do something tangible for you. Your family continues to be in my heart and prayers. God is Faithful.
Thank you for sharing your journey. My heart goes out to Derek. God be with you and know He carries you through these difficult days. Much love and prayers for all of you.
wow, that is a lot to deal with and very difficult on the body and heart. We will continue to pray for him and the whole family
Our prayers are with you folks and Derek.
It's hard to find words after reading your blog on a typical night. Thank you, Heather, for allowing us to understand at least a little of what you and Vince are going through as parents... even though we can never fully understand!
Derek's resilient spirit keeps amazing me: how he can invent a song or a game in the middle of going through this ordeal! The way he copes is a miracle in itself - I'm taking courage from what you shared - and with all the others who love and support you and pray for you daily many times... I pray that the Lord sustains you through it all. May you continue to feel his presence and comfort and God's involvement in Derek's illness in significant ways.Love & prayers always,Iris
Thank you for the update Sister Heather. Our hearts are bound to yours through the Love of Christ. We pray for you, Derek, Sis and Dad every night. We will not stop praying. Words cannot express how my heart feels, but I am comforted knowing Jesus and His Angels are with you every moment. May God continue to give you His Strength.
Hi Heather. This is Nichole, Julie's sister. My family and I and members of our church have been praying for so long for all of you. I get reports from Julie. This is the first time in many months that I have read your blog because it's just makes me cry with a mother's heart. I don't ... I don't know how you make it. I don't think I could. But I know The Lord must be strengthening you. I pray for strength and courage and peace for you most of all, but for Vince and Kristen, too.
Post a Comment