Wildflowers in Winter

A friend of mine has started a "Wildfowers in Winter" project on her blog. She has invited people to put their favorite wildflower pictures on their blogs while we wait for Spring to spring.

For me, it's a little different. Winters in Southern California are my favorite time of year. The hills are finally green, the skies are clear with very little smog or haze, and temperatures are cool instead of deathly hot. So I'm not anxious for winter to end - here anyway. Having lived in the north for several years, I can relate to the longing for Spring, the browsing through flower catalogs and dreaming about what new posies I would add to my flower gardens. Here, I still have flowers blooming in my garden. But I thought I would add a few of my favorite wildflower pictures I took back in 2005 when California had so much rain everything bloomed profusely. We took a trip to Death Valley and saw the once-in-a-lifetime wildflower show. Incredible!

Gravel Ghost - Atrichoseris platyphylla
Desert gold - Gerea canescens
Purple mat - Nama demissum

Some sort of evening primrose - not sure which kind


This picture was taken in King's Canyon. I'm not sure what type of lilies these were, but they were beautiful backlit. The picture at the top of my blog was also taken in King's Canyon. The flowers are a penstamon and some sort of mustard-looking flower. Not sure of either name.

11 comments:

Elizabeth Joy said...

Oh, this is wonderful! I'd love to come see your wildflowers in person! I've never seen any of these before. Your King's Canyon sounds like a wonderful place. I'm so glad you joined in our Wildflower Project.

Barb said...

We live in Northern CA and we get wintery weather but it doesn't last too long.

We took a trip to Death Valley two years ago in February and it was fantastic for flowers too! I have so many memories of wildflowers there that I relish going back again just to see if I can find some new ones!

Excellent photos....thanks for posting them.

You might like to check out my entry to Elizabeth Joy's event this week. I included one from Bodie State Park...excellent summer wildflower place by the way.

Looking forward to seeing more,
Barb-Harmony Art Mom

Lana G! said...

Gorgeous photos. Makes me want to run out and look for wildflowers! Although it is dark and raining out right now ;)

Jenni said...

Beautiful photos! I came over from Elizabeth's blog. I had to check your post first because of your name. Dh and I honeymooned in Scotland and I have such wonderful memories of the lovely mounds of heather everywhere.

This is so exciting! I knew I would love seeing all the wildflower photos, but I didn't even think about how I would be seeing such variety of wildflowers from so many different places.

I'm going to have to come back later for a closer look at your tidepool post.

One more thing, I couldn't help giggling about "My Knapsack on My Back" there in your sidebar. The only time I've ever heard the song was in some crazy movie. I don't remember the title, but Christopher Walken of all people was singing it--repeatedly. Too funny.

Pamela said...

gorgeous! I remember seeing the news items about that glorious bloom from the rains. I so wanted to go see it.

Glad I get to see a little of it through your eyes.

La Tea Dah said...

What beautiful wildflower pictures! It's really fun to meet new people through Elizabeth Joy's Wildflowers in Winter feature. I enjoyed my first post and am busy planning future ones.

Our family just returned from five days in Death Valley. It was a highlight of the year! We explored many places and had a delightful time. There were even a few flowers blooming in December!

So glad to meet you!
LaTraDah

ellen b. said...

Your photos are beautiful. I'm living in Southern California right now and I can relate to enjoying winter here because of the crisper clearer views. I went to Hume Lake Christian Camp in King's Canyon area when I was in junior high and high school. What a gorgeous area...
Thanks for the beauty you posted!

Marcie said...

I linked over from Elizabeth Joy's blog. Wow! Your images are just incredible.

Gumbo Lily said...

Beautiful, amazing flowers! It's so fun to look at them and dream of spring as it's -10 here in the north!

~Jody

Molly said...

Your wildflower pictures are beauiful and so different from what we have in Indiana. My favorite of these is the Gravel Ghost. I too would love to see your flowers in person.

Theresa said...

I came to see the wildflowers. Beautiful post and a nice blog. I'll be back. (I'm in Sac)