I Am a Cancer Mom


I am not a soccer mom or a hockey mom, though I dare say I am as tough as any of them, maybe even tougher.  But I am not bragging.  Although I spend hours on the road transporting my children to events, I do not take them to practice or games. The events my children participate in are more of the life-or-death nature. The competition is fierce. There is no practice for the contest we are involved in.  We have been thrust into the fight without practice and without warning, and even without our permission.  We meet with our team and coaches on a regular basis, sometimes as much as five days a week and for hours at a time, sometimes all day. Sometimes we must live at the facility where we have around-the-clock assistance from our team and access to specialized competition methods.  I cheer them on, but not from the sidelines. I get right in there and fight, too. Sometimes I have to wield the instruments of conquest.  It is all blood, sweat, and tears; my child’s blood, my sweat, and all of our tears. So far, we are winning, but the fight is far from over, and the tide could turn at any time.  Vigilance is vital.  To let up, even for a day, could be the difference between victory and defeat.  We are in hand-to-hand combat, so to speak; my hand tightly holding those of my children and husband, and I’m not letting go. I am a cancer mom.
© Heather Page 2012

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The team's fight song:

In heavenly love abiding,
No change my heart shall fear;
And safe is such confiding,
For nothing changes here.
The storm may roar without me,
My heart may low be laid;
But God is round about me,
And can I be dismayed?

Wherever He may guide me,
No want shall turn me back;
My Shepherd is beside me,
And nothing shall I lack.
His wisdom ever waketh,
His sight is never dim;
He knows the way He taketh,
And I will walk with Him.

Green pastures are before me,
Which yet I have not seen;
Bright skies will soon be o'er me,
Where darkest clouds have been.
My hope I cannot measure,
My path to life is free;
My Savior has my treasure,
And He will walk with me.

-- Anna Waring, 1850

Glenda said...

so well written it causes tears in my eyes.
what mum wants to go through that fight on that team but what mum could not join in with her child in the "game".
hang on... be strong... it is good for us all to cry with you.
your Leader died so He could live again and conquer this problem.

Halder Family said...

Oh you said it so well!! Can I use it on my 'other' blog~giving you credit of course!?

Unknown said...

That's exactly it.