Back in October 2011, only a
month into our leukemia journey, many people had shared Bible promises with us
regarding Derek. They are all beautiful
promises, but it seems that God doesn’t always keep them. Why? As we faced the very real possibility that
things would not turn out well for Derek in the immediate sense, I began to realize that those promises may not be kept now. Maybe they are for some time in the future. I needed a promise for NOW. I penned the rough draft of this blog post way
back in mid-November 2011 as a way to sort out my thoughts on the subject. I chose not publish it as I wrestled over
it. But over time, the answer has become more clear to me. I have referred
to this subject in several other posts and realize I need to put my thoughts
out there. So here they are. I welcome
your feedback.
_ _ _ _ _
Does God always keep His promises?
What about this one: “The angel of the LORD encamps
all around those who fear Him, and delivers them.” Psalm 34:7. I frequently hear of God-fearing people who meet
with severe difficulty, sickness, and even death.
Or this one: “The
righteous cry out, and the LORD hears, and delivers them out of all
their troubles.” Psalm 34:17. Jesus is the most righteous person to ever walk the earth. Even Jesus prayed for His coming
trial to be removed. It wasn’t. Did God
abandon His promise for His own Son? If so, it doesn’t seem like there is much
hope for unrighteous me.
As we have faced our son’s cancer
diagnosis, I have thought about the promises in the Bible; promises like “I
will save your children,” and “I know the plans I have for you, plans for a
hope and a future.” While I claim these
promises, I have to face the reality of the world I live in. These promises may
not be talking about now. They may have
their ultimate fulfillment in the eternal sense. I must claim them with “Thy will be done”
added, just as Jesus prayed. A much
greater purpose was to be served by Jesus’ suffering and death, and His
difficult “cup” was not taken from Him.
Is there a greater purpose to be served by the trials I face? Probably so, though it isn’t completely clear
to me yet.
But I need some promises for
NOW. Are there any promises that can be claimed and know without a shadow of a
doubt that they will be fulfilled NOW, without needing to add “Thy will be
done”? Promises that ARE God’s will for right NOW? That’s what I have needed as I have walked
this dark valley.
As I begged God to give me a promise for NOW, the
first verses that came to mind were, “I am with you always.” Matthew 28:20. I
will not leave you comfortless: I will come to you. John 14:18. “He himself has said, ‘I will never leave you
or forsake you.’” Hebrews 13:5. God with
us. God with ME! No matter what happens to my son, my family,
or me, I know that God is HERE.
The next verse that came to
me was, “I will help you.” Isaiah 41:10, 13, 14. This phrase is repeated three times within
five verses. “The Lord will guide you
continually.” Isaiah 58:11. No matter
what difficult decisions or horrendous events we face, He will give me help and
guidance.
I know there are other
promises for NOW, too, waiting for me to discover them like hidden jewels. I welcome your comments if you have found
one.
While sometimes it seems as
though God doesn’t keep all His promises, I am discovering that some may not be
for now. As much as I want one for my
son, I haven’t found any promises for NOW that guarantee physical well-being
here in this life. Maybe that is because life here as we know it in this sinful
world is temporary. There is something
better coming. I guess I really don’t
want this life to last forever. I want
some promises that give me hope for something better that will last
forever. I need promises for the future
and I need some promises for NOW.
There are Bible promises for
any time, all time, RIGHT NOW. I found
this beautifully written paragraph:
“All
that has perplexed us in the providences of God will in the world to come be
made plain. The things hard to be understood will then find explanation. The
mysteries of grace will unfold before us. Where our finite minds discovered
only confusion and broken promises, we shall see the most perfect and beautiful
harmony. We shall know that infinite love ordered the experiences that seemed
most trying. As we realize the tender care of Him who makes all things work
together for our good, we shall rejoice with joy unspeakable and full of
glory.” (Ellen White, Testimonies vol. 9, p. 286)
I cannot wait to see how all
of these experiences along this leukemia journey are for my good and the good
of my family, particularly Derek. While
it seems hard to think of it as good, I have to trust that God knows the end,
and He will be with us until the end. I
have seen evidence that He is here. He
has given guidance and help in numerous ways.
He has kept His promises for NOW.
I will trust that He will keep them all in His perfect timing and will.
5 comments:
The LORD is near to the brokenhearted, And saves those who are crushed in spirit.
Psalm 34:18
Heather, it is a privilege to read your words on your blog for they question and wonder but have no sound of anger or bitterness towards the Lord. You are looking in the Bible and other good books for answers to your heart ache. What a testimony to the depth of your love for you son and your God.
Your book quote is so beautiful. Thank you for sharing.
Here are a couple I like:
Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid. John 14:27
In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world. John 16:33
Thank you for your post, it is very meaningful to me. I am so thankful that God is faithful.
Could you contact me privately at hisgracetome@gmail.com when you have a free moment? Thanks
Do not fear for I am with you, do not be dismayed for I am your God, I will strengthen you and help you, I will uphold you with my righteous right hand. Isaiah 41:10
Come to me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Matthew 11:28
Trust in the Lord, and lean not on your own understanding, in all you ways acknowledge Him and He will make your path straight. Proverbs 3:5-6
You will keep in perfect peace him who's mind is steadfast because he trusts in You. Trust in the Lord forever, for the Lord, the Lord is the rock eternal. Isaiah 26: 3-4
Being confident of this that He who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus. Philippians 1:6
...Be strong and of good courage; do not be afraid, nor be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go. Joshua 1:9
...For He Himself said, "I will never leave you nor forsake you."
Hebrews 13:5
Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever. Hebrews 13:8
Every trial is weighed and measured by the Lord Jesus Christ, and it is not beyond man’s ability to endure through the grace given unto him. “God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way of escape, that ye may be able to bear it” (Ibid.). Will this dear brother, who is so young in the faith, lay hold upon the promise? “The Lord knoweth how to deliver the godly out of temptations” (2 Peter 2:9). This means that, while everything may appear overwhelmingly dark, the Lord will bring forth the tried one with firmer faith and a richer experience. – {12MR 81.1}
Our gracious heavenly Father does not willingly afflict or grieve the children of men. He will accomplish the work of purification by the furnace fire of trial, and will overrule every event to His own name’s glory in the good of the afflicted one. He will communicate grace and strength, and will manifestly interpose His own power to restrain the cruel power of the adversary. But we must be steadfast in the faith, demonstrating to the world a devotion to Jesus and a love for Him that nothing can destroy. – {12MR 81.2}
Post a Comment