Today I had to do the hardest thing I have ever had to do. I
had to tell my nine-year-old son that his cancer is back.
This afternoon my phone rang. The call display said “City of Hope.” “It’s
either someone calling to check on Derek after his surgery yesterday, or it is
someone with news,” I thought. When I heard the urgent voice onthe line, I knew it was the latter. Carefully the doctor explained that the pathologist had called him with some concerning news. There were T-cell lymphoblasts in the lymph node removed yesterday that indicated my son’s cancer was back again. Cancer for the third time in his short nine years, half of which has been spent fighting it.
How should I break the news? His friend was over, and they were
building a fort outside. I’d wait until the friend left.
Derek came into the room, took off his shoes, and dropped into a chair, feeling tired. I opened my arms for him to come sit on my lap, and he came readily, wrapping his arms around my neck. I gave him a hug and kiss and just said it. The doctor had called and they found T-cell cancer in his lymph node. He looked at me in surprise, mouth dangling open. I told him they would do more testing at the hospital beginning Monday. They would do a bone marrow and an LP. He sat in shocked silence, legs dangling from my lap. He knew exactly what it all meant, and tears flooded his eyes. He buried his head in my shoulder and began to weep. I held him close and reminded him that Jesus is still with us, he hasn’t ever left us alone, and I wouldn’t leave him either. I held him. He asked about his port. I told him they would likely put in another one. He was scared about getting a new one and getting used to it again. I reminded him we could always use cream, unlike with IV placement. He asked what would happen with treatment. I told him it would probably be chemo and radiation but it would depend on where the cancer was. I held him close and let him cry. He asked about the bell choir of which he is a member. I told him they would be able to fill in for him, but sympathized that he wouldn’t get to do it for a while. He wept quietly into my shoulder, and I held him. After a long time, his breathing evened out, and I felt his body relax slightly. I realized he had cried himself to sleep in my arms.
Derek came into the room, took off his shoes, and dropped into a chair, feeling tired. I opened my arms for him to come sit on my lap, and he came readily, wrapping his arms around my neck. I gave him a hug and kiss and just said it. The doctor had called and they found T-cell cancer in his lymph node. He looked at me in surprise, mouth dangling open. I told him they would do more testing at the hospital beginning Monday. They would do a bone marrow and an LP. He sat in shocked silence, legs dangling from my lap. He knew exactly what it all meant, and tears flooded his eyes. He buried his head in my shoulder and began to weep. I held him close and reminded him that Jesus is still with us, he hasn’t ever left us alone, and I wouldn’t leave him either. I held him. He asked about his port. I told him they would likely put in another one. He was scared about getting a new one and getting used to it again. I reminded him we could always use cream, unlike with IV placement. He asked what would happen with treatment. I told him it would probably be chemo and radiation but it would depend on where the cancer was. I held him close and let him cry. He asked about the bell choir of which he is a member. I told him they would be able to fill in for him, but sympathized that he wouldn’t get to do it for a while. He wept quietly into my shoulder, and I held him. After a long time, his breathing evened out, and I felt his body relax slightly. I realized he had cried himself to sleep in my arms.
6 comments:
Heather, I am so sorry. Please give Derek a hug from me. We will, of course, continue praying. I'm sure this has to be devastating. I so appreciate your willingness to share so that we know how to pray.
Tears! Our hearts are with you! "Lord Jesus, strengthen this sweet boy!"
We are still praying, sis. May God continue to uphold you as you navigate this new journey. Tell Derek that his brothers and sister in Jamaica have him in their thoughts and prayers.
Blessings and {{{HUGS}}}
Jackson Family (Robert, Ruth and Samuel)
Your AHC family continues to pray and update is. I sent you a PM about our middle school homeschool mountain bike team wanting to dedicate this season to him...hope hou got it. Let me know what you think.
I read this and I am touched by your gentleness. All I want to do when I read this is cry with both you and Derek. Why do these things happen, most will ask? Sin is the culprit, but it still doesn't seem fair. I will be praying for Derek, you, and your family. May our Creator and Redemmer grant you peace, wisdom, and strength, as you go through this valley. Please let me know how we can help. (((Hugs)))
My heart aches for you and Derek💙
Post a Comment