Derek did get a waffle this morning, but he ate it slowly this time. He has lost five pounds since we were admitted two weeks ago. Some of it, I’m sure, is the reduction in size of his enlarged liver and spleen and the mass in his chest, but he just has not been hungry.
Kristen has been spending some days with a close friend, and Monday was one of those days. She had a piano lesson, to which our friend took her. Kristen’s piano teacher has been so gracious and understanding of our whole situation. Kristen has not had practice times to prepare for her lessons because we are at the hospital so much of the time. Her teacher has offered to use the time to practice with Kristen just to keep her skills up until we are able to be back home on some sort of regular schedule.
Today there was a scheduled home school field trip to the L.A. Science Center, and our friends asked to take Kristen with them. I agreed, knowing that they would be vigilant to make sure she washed hands and used hand sanitizer regularly. They invited Kristen to stay overnight since they were leaving first thing in the morning for the field trip. Kristen was excited to stay. It was her very first night away from Mommy or Daddy.
With Kristen away and Vince at the hospital with Derek, I was at home Monday night without any of them. It was a very strange feeling.
This morning, our friends called us to say that Kristen had a stomach ache and had awakened very early. She wanted to come home instead of going on the field trip. I decided to bring her home after taking my mom to the hospital. A few minutes later, our friend called back to say that Kristen really did want to go on the field trip, but she wanted me to go with her. So, spur of the moment, I decided to go. If I had the day to spend with Kristen, it may as well be on the field trip.
I felt a bit awkward going out in public for the first time in two weeks. So much has happened over the last two weeks that I feel like a different person in some ways. Even though the other families going on the field trip were good friends, and all have provided support for us in many ways, I still felt a bit strange. And, as I looked at our friend’s son, with whom Derek plays so well, I couldn’t help but feel pangs of sadness; there should be two little brown-headed boys instead of just one. Overall, though, it was good to get out, spend the day with Kristen, and enjoy the company of friends.
When I returned to the hospital to spend the night this evening, Derek seemed to have much more energy. We had discovered that, from an 8th floor window, we could view helicopters landing and leaving the heliport above our unit. When we heard one land, Derek wanted to go up quickly to watch it. He put on a mask (he needs to wear one any time he leaves his room) and we headed for the elevator. We got to watch it take off, but while waiting for the down elevator, we heard another one approaching. We raced back to the window and were able to see it land and then take off a few minutes later. Derek was so excited. It was good to see him feeling a bit better after several days of very low energy.
1 comment:
I remember that awkwardness of going out in public after so much time spent in the hospital. It will get easier. Especially because Derek will be home soon and you will begin to do normal things again. Blood counts will always be an issue as to how much public appearances you make, but by all means, get up and out when they are good, because there will be enough quiet days of self-appointed isolation when they are down. Keep your chin up, we're praying for you!
Post a Comment