Thursday, May 12, 2016

Derek is still spiking fevers of 103*-104*F whenever the Tylenol wears off, which means it is happening four or five times a day. His breathing has gotten worse throughout the week, and now he is on oxygen around the clock. When not on oxygen, his saturation level dips to the low 80's which
makes him feel so awful. He has trouble speaking a full sentence without getting out of breath even on oxygen. X-Rays show more congestion, though it doesn't sound like a rattle yet. The doctors still believe it is the RSV, but they haven't ruled out more than one thing going on, so they are doing other tests. Because Derek has no white cells, specifically no lymphocytes, he is at high risk for complications from RSV. They are trying everything they know to prevent complications, but your prayers on his behalf would be so encouraging. Despite all of this, he spent a bit of time building with his new Lego set. Perhaps tomorrow he will finish his robot elephant. I will post a video when he does. Tonight after I had gotten him in bed, I could hear his labored breathing through the oxygen mask. I heard another strange noise. I wasn't sure if he had said something to me, so I went over to the bed and found him giggling, though giggling makes him cough, hence the strange noise I heard muffled in the oxygen mask. He was thinking about a video clip we had seen of Anita Renfroe singing the "Mom Song" set to the William Tell Overture. But what was making him giggle was the corresponding video of the "Dad Song" also sung by Anita. If you haven't seen it, look it up. It might make you giggle, too. Thank you for continuing to lift him in your prayers. We will see what God will do.

No comments: